CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 8, 2008

Aspects of the Election

Probably the most obvious issue of the 2008 election that i am most interested about is the war in Iraq and how each candidate is going to approach it. Both Claim to want an end to it, but Obama wants to pull out immediately while McCain suggest somewhat of a slow retreat. I agree more with McCain's approach. We cannot leave Iraq without first making sure its government is stable and making sure the Iraqi Armed Forces are strong enough to stand on their own.
Another issue of the campaign I'm watching is foreign policy. Being that in roughly 3 years i will be a soldier I would like a commander and chief who want go picking fights and will only send troops in when absolutely nessary. Both candidtes are promising better foreign policy and better relations for the world, but i would like to see how they would react to global problems like the conflicts with Iran and North Korea.

2 comments:

Sara V said...

I also agree that we should have a slow retreat from Iraq. Pulling the troops out immediately is just going to cause more chaos. We definitely need to make sure Iraq will be stable without us before we completely pull out.

Rachel Harper said...

I agree with mcCain's approach to ending the war in Iraq as well. It almost seems ignorant to me for some to think we can just leave. It would be a waste of millions of dollars, men, and time if the feeble government we went in there to set up collapses the moment we leave.
My dad actually went to Iraq for a year, and before that I was totally opposed to the war and thought we should leave them alone. But there are so many aspects of the war that we don't see or hear about despite the wide media coverage, and his stories of giving dental care and medicine to Iraqi villagers who were living as people did centuries ago because of the way Hussein "ran" the country completely changed my views.
I definately agree with the slow removal of troops just because I don't want all that to be in vain. Its going to be a tough call in the election though